Namaste / Tasi Delek !
I’m Wongchu Sherpa. Born 47 years ago in the remote Tapting Chyangba VDC of Solukhumbu district in eastern Nepal, I’m the youngest among the ten children of my parents Yokpu and Chhenji Shrepa. I spent the early days of my life in the slopes of Chyangba after losing my mother when I was 6 months and father when I was 6 years old.I arrived at Kathmandu, the capital city of Nepal, when I was 16 and since then this has been my new home. I have been able to establish myself as a tourism entrepreneur with more than a decade long struggle in this field. I chose promotion of tourism in the Himalayan region as my profession. I was lucky enough to be able to explore the high hills of the mountains and the low lying meadows of the plains because of this profession. The same profession gave me opportunities to go abroad and learn about foreign lifestyle. For this I always thank our company Peak Promotion.
No matter where I’m, my love for Chyangba, my birthplace, never subsides. The pain and sorrow of the people of Tapting has been my driving force to whatever success I have achieved today.One of the happiest days of my life was when I was able to spread the light of education to the little ones of Tapting by establishing the Wongchu Bishwo Darsan School in my village. It was such a satisfying feeling to have been able to give something back to Chyangba, the place where I belong.
I felt more proud as the son of Chyangba when the electricity produced from the Wongchu Micro Hydro erased the darkness once and for all for the villagers.
It’s equally satisfying to join the locals in their efforts to build a bridge or motor-able road in the village.
I have enjoyed the love and affection of the villagers and they have always welcomed me to render some assistance be it in renovating the local monastery or setting up drinking water service. As they say, “The more you do, the more you learn”, my inclination to social service is spreading by the day.
I learnt the importance of Himalayas, forest and water resources in course of my profession. I was able to learn a few things on the importance of preserving our environment.
I took up Mt Everest cleaning campaign on many occasions and the fact that we were able to collect and dispose more than 15,000 kilograms of garbage from the region has encouraged me to do more.
My direct and indirect involvement in providing employment opportunities to thousands of youths gives me happiness. Collaboration and cooperation from various governmental and none governmental institutions have always inspired me to continue working in the field of social service.
Local and international media have fueled my energy to work for the people. It gives me immense pleasure to be able to work for financial and professional dignity and security of all the Mt. Everest Summiteers through the Mt. Everest Summiteers Association.
Experiences in life are not always sweet and satisfying and I too have some bitter experiences to share with you all. I have experience of courting government officials in Singhadurbar for months to lift the royalty imposed to summiteers in the name of development of Himalayan tourism which was dysfunctional long ago. Few years back I fell ill due to my arduous daily routine and was bed ridden. However the success of all the efforts has made me forget the pain.
I want to shower whatever knowledge, experience and earnings I have in my motherland. Your love and affection has inspired me to become the son of Chyangba, brother of Solukhumbu and the soldier of Nepal. I have received support and good wishes from friends home and abroad in my every step. All I have earned till date is your love, good wishes and support.
I want to channel my every effort in social service. I want to smell my sweat in development works in every nooks and corners of the country. I have desire to add my name to many other development endeavors. I will make my social role more effective through Himalayan Yokpu Foundation
I need your feedback and cooperation. Being a part of the society, people might have different perception of me. I beg for forgiveness if I have hurt anyone knowingly or unknowingly in my life so far. Please forgive this orphan if I have hurt you in any way.
I have established this portal as the network to share our joy and sorrow by connecting all of us at one platform irrespective of our physical location. We will be in constant touch.
November 1, 2014
नमस्कार / टासिदेलेक !
म वाङ्छु शेर्पा । सोलुखुम्बुको टाप्टिङ च्याङ्बामा ४७ वर्ष अघि मेरो जन्म भएको हो । बाबु योक्पू शेर्पा र आमा छेन्जीका १० सन्तान मध्ये म कान्छो हुँ । ६ महिनामा आमा र ६ वर्षमा बाबु गुमाएपछिका केही वर्ष मैले च्याङ्बाकै उकाली ओरालीमा बिताएँ ।
१६ वर्षको उमेरमा जन्मथलो छोडेर राजधानी काठमाडौंलाई कर्मथलो बनाएँ ।
एकदशक लामो संघर्षले मलाई पर्यटन व्यवसायिका रुपमा तपाइँहरुसँग चिनिन सहज बनायो । हिमाली क्षेत्रको पर्यटनलाई मैले व्यवसायको आधार बनाएँ । पहाडका कान्ला र तराईका फाँट टेक्ने शौभाग्य पनि यही पेशाले दियो । विदेशी रहन सहन र विकासका तौर तरिका पनि व्यवसायकै क्रममा बुझें ।
संसारका जुनसुकै कुनामा गएपनि च्याङ्वाको माया कहिल्यै घटेन । टाप्टिङबासीको दुख र पीडा सँधै सँगै रह्यो ।
वाङ्छु विश्व दर्शन स्कुल स्थापना गरी गाउँका बालबालिकालाई ज्ञानको ज्योति बाल्ने अवसर दिनसकेको क्षण हालसम्मकै धेरै खुशीको क्षण हो । यसले च्याङ्बाप्रति केही गरेजस्तो भयो ।
वाङ्छु माइक्रो हाइड्रोमार्फत गाउँमा उज्यालो छर्न सकेको क्षण पनि उत्साहप्रद रह्यो । यसले च्याङ्बाको छोरो भएकोमा केही गर्व पनि गरायो ।
बाटोघाटो पुलपुलेसा निर्माणमा जनताको होस्टेमा हैंसै गर्न पाएकोमा पनि खुशी छु ।
गुम्वाको जिर्णोद्धार, गाउँमा खानेपानीको आपूर्ति लगायतका काममा स्थानीय बासिन्दासँगै रहने अवसर पाएको छु । कामले काम सिकाउँछ भनेझै समाज सेवामा लाग्ने क्रम पनि बिस्तारै बढ्दै गयो ।
काम गर्दै जाँदा हिमाल, बनजंगल, नदीनालाको महत्व पनि बुझ्न थालें । वातावरणका बारेमा २ / ४ कुरा सिक्न पाएँ ।
सबैको साथ र समर्थनमा विभिन्न सफाइ अभियानमा पनि लागे । सगरमाथा क्षेत्रमा रहेको १५ हजार किलोभन्दा बढी फोहर व्यवस्थापन गर्न सकेकोमा म अलि बढीनै हौसिएको छु ।
यसबीच हजारौं भाइबैनालाई सक्दो रोजगार पनि दिएँ । नेपाल सरकार र विभिन्न संघसंस्था सँगको सहकार्यले मलाई समाज सेवामा सँधै उत्साही बनाएको छ ।
सामाजिक कामप्रति मेरो लगाव र सक्रियतालाई लिएर स्वदेशी तथा विदेशी सञ्चार माध्यमले मलाई थप प्रेरित गर्दै आएका छन् ।
मेरो नेतृत्वमा स्थापित सगरमाथा आरोही संघ मार्फत आरोहीहरुको आय आर्जन र प्रतिष्ठा बढाउने काम गर्न पाएकोमा पनि सन्तोष लागेको छ ।
वर्षौ स्थगित हिमाली क्षेत्रको पर्यटन विकास बापतको रोयल्टी फुक्का गर्न महिनौसम्म सिंहदरबार धाउँदा धाउँदा हत्तु परेको नमिठो अनुभव पनि छ । समयमा खाना समेत नखाई धाउदा बिरामी भई लड्नु परे पनि लक्ष्य सफल बनाउन सकेकोमा पीडा समेत बिर्साएको छ ।
जे सिकेँ, जे कमाएँ त्यो सबै यही माटोकै खातिर प्रयोग गर्न इच्छुक छु । तपाइँहरुको न्यानो मायाले च्याङ्बाको छोरो, सोलुको भाइ र नेपालकै सिपाही हुन प्रेरित गरेको छ । मेरा हर कदममा देशभित्र र बाहिरका साथी, सँगाती र आफन्तहरुको साथ र सहयोग छ । मेरो सम्पति भन्नुनै तपाइँको माया, साथ र समर्थन हो ।
मेरो उर्जा समाजसेवामा पोख्न चाहन्छु । देशका विभिन्न क्षेत्रमा हुने विकास निर्माणमा पसिना बगाउन चाहन्छु ।
अझ थुप्रै कामसँग मेरो नाम जोड्ने चाहना उत्तिकै छ । मलाई तपाइँहरुको सुझाव सहयोग चाहिएको छ । समाजमा सँगै रहँदा कतिपयसँग घच्चापच्चा पनि लागेको हुन सक्छ । कसैको मन दुखाएको पनि हुन सक्छु । यदि त्यस्तो भएको भए यो टुहुरोलाई क्षमा दिनुहुनेछ ।
हामी एक आपसमा जति टाढा रहेपनि अबदेखि सुख:दुख बिसाउने चौतारीको रुपमा यो सञ्जाललाई प्रस्तुत गरेको छु । हामी निरन्तर सम्पर्कमा रहने छौं ।
मिति २०७१ कार्तिक १६
Bio- Data – Wongchu Sherpa
Date of Birth: 1968
Mother: Late Chhenji Sherpa
Father: Late Yokpu Sherpa
Birth Place: Tapting -1, Chyangba, Solukhumbu
Recent Address: Kathmandu MC-16
Phone: 9851020594, +97714243296, 4263115
- The youngest among 10 children of parents.
- Lost mother at six months and father at the age of six years
- Nominated as a member of Village Development Committee (VDC) at teenage.
- Left village at early age and struggled in Kathmandu for years
- Joined Nepal Army and Nepal Police in early stage of life struggle for a short period
- Achieved Trekking Guides Training, Mountaineering Guide Training
- Then started working in the field of tourism as a cook, guide and mountaineering guide respectively.
- Later, started own tourism business (Peak Promotion company) and involved in many social activities.
- Developments of tourism infrastructure, environmental conservation, health and education are major sectors of social service.
- Made record of staying 18 nights at Mount Everest at the elevation of 7000 meters and slept one hour at the summit of Mount Everest.
- Founder Chairman – Chyangba welfare committee 1986
- Life member – Sherpa welfare centre Nepal
- Life member – Nepal Sherpa Association
- Member – Nepal Mountaineering Association
- Founder chairman -Wongchu Biswa Darshan lower secondary school, Solukhumbu
- Founder vice-president – Himalayan Sherpa culture, Nepal
- Life member – Sushma Koirala Memorial Trust
- Board member – 6 years (Trekking Agencies’ Association of Nepal, TAAN)
- Advisor -Monastery Committee Solukhumbu
- Life Member – JP Foundation Nepal
- Founder Chairman – Wongchu Micro Hydro Power project, Solukhumbu
- Founder Chairman- Peak Promotion Pvt Ltd.
- Founder President – Sagaramatha Area Development Committee
- Advisor- Solukhumbu Road Construction Committee
- Founder / Life member- Kathmandu Environment Education project
- Advisor – Social Development Youth Group, Solukhumbu
- Board member – Himalayan Rescue Association, HRA
- Founder Chairman – Everest Summiteers Association, ESA
- Founder Chairman – Sub health post, Solukhumbu
- Founder Chairman- Peak Promotion Trading Ltd.
- Member -Lions Club of International
- Advisor -Bridge Construction Management Committee ( Tangboche, Larcha Doban , Phorthse, Pheriche, Thukla) ( Bridges on the way to Mt Everest)
- President – Babu Chhiri Sherpa Statue and Museum Construction Committee
- Founder Chairman – Pikey Solukhumbu Tapting Welfare Service Committee
- Chairman -Saving Mount Everest Cleaning Campaign Committee
- Coordinator – Climbing Mount Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse control Committee, Nepal Government 2008
- Member- Everest Golden Jubilee Celebration Committee
- Coordinator -Wilderness Medical Society for Nepal
- Organizer – Cabinet meeting of government of Nepal at Kalapatthar, Everest base camp, 2009
- Member- Tourism Year 2011 Celebration Committee, Ministry of Tourism
- Served as a Volunteer for government’s tourism policy making team
- Member- Rotary Club International
- Founder Chairman- Himalayan Yokpu Foundation
- Coordinator -Summiteers Summit to save The Himalaya in Denmark, Copenhagen 2009
- Team Leader: Nepal Television-Lions Everest Expedition 2007
- Expedition Coordinator – Rotary Centenary Everest Expedition 2005
- Committee Member – Nepalese Women Millennium Everest Expedition 2002
- Award from Tenzing Hillary Mountaineering
- Appreciation letter from Sushma Koirala Memorial Trust
- Appreciation letter from Mount Everest 2008, Climbing Lhotse, Nuptse Committee (Nepal Government)
- Suprabal Gorkha Dakshin Bahu, (Nepal Government)
- Japan Nepal Friendship Expedition Award
- Award from Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger California 2009
- Appreciation letter from Nepal Sherpa Association
- Award from Nepal Mountaineering Association
- Daibi Prakop Piditoddhar Padak, 2045 B.S.
- Appreciation Letter from Sherpa welfare center Nepal
- Award from Tibet Autonomous Region of the People’s Republic of China
- 4th Kathmandu International Marathon Award, 1996
- Appreciation letter from Himalayan Sherpa culture center
- Award from Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
- Award from Lions Club International
- Appreciation letter from Himalayan Rescue Association, Nepal
- Award from Rotary Club International
- Special Appreciation letter from Trekking Agencies’ Association of Nepal (TAAN)
- Award from Everest Golden Jubilee Celebration
- Award from World Environment day (Nepal Government)
- Award from India Mountaineering Association
- Appreciation letter from Pikey Solukhumbu Tapting social Service
- Award from Nepal Television
- Appreciation letter from Ministry of Tourism, Nepal
- Award from Summiteers to save the Himalaya, Nepal
- Appreciation letter for Building Construction, TAAN
- Award from Green Field National College, Nepal
- Appreciation award from Giripremi’s Everest Expedition, India
- Special Honor from Taiwan Mountain Association
- Appreciation letter from Student Development Group
- Appreciation letter from Governor Richard Lamm, Colorado, USA
- Everest Social Service Award – 2015
Mount Everest, Dhaulagiri, Annapurna, Makalu, Sisha Pangma, Langtang, Cho-oyu, Kilimanjaro (South Africa), Mustaghata (China / Pakistan), Mt. Fuji (Japan), Island Peak, Lobuche Peak, Mera peak, Naya Kanga, Lang Shisha, Mt. Rainer, Mt. Kebnekaise
- Participation in Everest IMAX Filming Expedition
- BBC Everest Expedition
- Lonely Planet Guide Video
- Himalayan Michael Palin and many other international films…
- Published many stories in national and international books, magazine and newspapers
- Team leader of Nepal television – Lions Everest expedition
- Involved in national Geographical channel
- Involved in Everest Movie
- Involved in Hollywood Movie
- Involved in Glacier Research Imaging Project
- Involved in climate +change
- Involved in Diamond Jubilee celebration of Mount Everest
- Involved in Tourism royalty release for Everest area
- Involved in Artificial legged summiteers’ Everest summit 2003
- Involved in many other international and national organizations
Nepal – most of the districts of the nation.
Abroad – USA ,France, Germany, Sweden, China ,Finland ,Denmark, Japan , Hong kong, Tanzania, Thailand , Malaysia ,Singapore, UK, India, South Korea, Switzerland, Australia ,Belgium and many other countries